A lot of people ask me about my skin and how it looks the way it looks. I wouldn’t say I have the perfect skin. I still get zits and I have the notorious 11’s in between my eyebrows (which irritates me!!). But Alhumdulilah, my skin is a thousand times more different than what it looked like during high school and undergraduate. We’re talking pimples all over my forehead and huge painful pimples on my cheeks. I am so happy those days are over!
I changed up a few things about my diet and started using products that my skin liked. The few things I can say to keep your skin clear and fresh based on what works for me is:
- Drink WATER. Please drink water and drink it all of the time. I carry a Nalgene water bottle wherever I go. Some people can’t live without their children or partners – I can’t live without my water bottle. I have a 32 oz and I try to drink 4-5 bottles a day. This is the most vital and essential ingredient for good skin. It keeps the acne away and it’s hydrating. It’ll prevent wrinkles. It will also keep your body energized!
- Stop drinking so much soda, coffee, and eating fatty greasy things. For those that drink alcohol – cut it down or cut it out!!. I love all of these things. I love cherry coke and I can’t live without coffee or cheeseburgers. Pakoras are yummy too. I monitor what I put into my body and what goes in, goes in in moderation. I care about my health and my appearance. All of these things will cause bumpy or dehydrated skin…old looking skin especially if you drink alcohol. If you can’t not have this kind of stuff, then increase your water intake. I always drink water before and after I have a latte. Always. I love junk food but I try to go for baked products over fried. What you put into your body is what will reflect on the surface. Eating junk will hurt your skin as well as your body and health. Please take care of it!
- Try Korean skincare. K-beauty is so well-known and does wonders for skin. I use a snail eye cream and have a rice cleanser. Some of my favorite products are by Mizon, The Face Shop, Skin Food, and Tony Moly (don’t use Tony Moly sheet masks though).
- Toner is whatever. I don’t believe products like toner really do much except irritate your skin so I don’t really use them. I plan to buy a Korean toner soon though just to try it out.
- As for cleanser, you should definitely invest in a good gentle cleanser and exfoliating cleanser. I like simple, gentle cleansers that do not have too many weird ingredients. I actually stay clear of salicylic acid. My skin has always broken out worse by using products with that ingredient. I have combination skin so I like to use Cetaphil Oily to Normal skin cleanser. This has been my holy grail for years now. I like Aveeno Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Daily Scrub for exfoliating. I use the Aveeno in the shower when it’s hot and steamy – basically when my pores are wide open. This helps with getting deep into the pores and cleaning the gunk out deeper.
- Invest in a good moisturizer and eye cream. I use St. Ives Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Facial Moisturizer mainly. I also like Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer – SPF 15. You should really be wearing products with SPF on your skin everyday to protect it. For my eye cream, I like Mizon Snail eye cream. The snail mucin in the eye cream is packed with vitamins. My eye area always feel tight, awake, and fresh. I wear this eye cream at night before bed. I definitely see an improvement in any little wrinkles I was getting. I use Belief eye cream during the day to keep my eye area moisturized.
- If you’re going to use a face mask, please don’t use sheet masks. You don’t know what kind of chemicals will really work or be bad for your skin! Use LUSH face masks. Lush masks have natural ingredients and are made fresh. A fresh mask is so much better than those sheet ones that have been sitting in their serums for who knows how long. I like “Don’t Look At Me” for exfoliating purposes. The rice grains don’t damage my skin but clear up the dirt. I like “Oatfix,” “BB Seaweed,” and “Brazened Honey.” I also like “Rosy Cheeks” and “Castastrophe Cosmetic” for a cooler clay mask for greasy skin days. For moisturizing, I like “The Birth of Venus” which is a jelly mask. I also like the watermelon sleeping mask by Skin Food for a fun cooling mask.
- Try to cut down on the makeup. I know girls like wearing makeup or feel like they need makeup. I used to wear a lot of makeup years ago. One day someone told me that I looked way better without it. I really thought about it and started wearing less and less. Eventually, I stopped putting on foundation overall unless for big parties and events. This really helped my skin clear up too because I wasn’t putting anything on it that could irritate it! The more gunk you put on your face, the more chance you have of breaking out. Please allow your skin to breathe..What’s wrong with a little natural beauty amirite?
- Use a derma roller here and there. A derma roller contains many tiny needles on a roller. It is designed to be rolled on your face and poke little holes into your skin. The concept of the derma roller is to puncture the skin in order to stimulate skin repair and generation. It creates new collagen. I probably use mine every 2-3 weeks. I think it works! I feel like it has made a difference with tiny lines. My face feels plump and younger usually 2 days after use. Ps. The Jade Roller is useless. I don’t think it does anything.
- Use Biore pore strips. Charcoal or regular! Get those pores cleaned up! Does anyone else looking at the gunk they pull out after using pore strips?
Basically, the he most you can do to help yourself is: drink tons of water, eat less junk, moisturize, and wear less as you can on your face. Please wash your face. Please. Hope this helps. 🙂
XO – Hads